Pages

Spicy Chicken Sandwich

Wednesday, May 11, 2011


My favorite fast food sandwich? Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich for sure! Love it Love it Love it! So naturally I was thrilled to run into a blog sharing this recipe for homemade spicy chicken sandwiches!! 
This is what we had for dinner tonight. Mmmmmmm... so good. 
You love' em too?! Well here's what you'll need:

6-8 cups vegetable oil (if deep frying)
1 1/2-2 cups vegetable oil (if pan frying)
1/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
1/3 cup water
1 egg
1 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets
And then of course you add your mayo, lettuce, tomato and whatever else you prefer!
I cut the ingredient amounts in half since I was only making two pieces of chicken. And I cut back some on the cayenne pepper and the Franks Red Hot Sauce. Oh ya, I for the second piece I cooked I put in some crushed bread crumbs to make it a little more breaded crunchy. 
Directions:
1. If deep frying, in a deep fryer or cast iron pot, heat 6-8 cups of oil to 375 degrees. If pan frying, heat 1 1/2-2 cups oil (about 1/2 inch in the pan) in a large, heavy bottomed frying pan.
2. In a large bowl or pie pan, whisk together hot sauce, water, and egg.
3. In a shallow bowl or pie pan, combine flour, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, onion powder, paprika, and garlic powder.
4. Pound each chicken breast with a mallet/tenderizer until about 3/8 inch thick. The chicken may be much larger than the bun when it’s pounded thin. If so, you may want to cut the breast in half before breading to make the chicken fit better on the bun.
5. Coat each fillet in the flour, then in the hot sauce/water/egg mixture, then in the flour again. Repeat the dredge if you would like a thicker coating.
6. After all of the chicken is coated, deep fry for 8 to 12 minutes, or pan fry 4 to 6 minutes on each side. After frying, drain excess oil from the chicken by placing it on a cooling rack or on a plate covered with paper towels.
7. Grill the faces of the hamburger buns on a griddle or in a dry skillet (optional) and prepare sandwiches with chicken, mayonnaise, lettuce, and tomato.

Ours turned out pretty stinkin' good! Hubs can't take as much spiciness as I can in my chicken sandwiches, so he said his was a bit spicier than he'd like..  And I LOOOOVED mine!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Jessica- YOur blog is adorable! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and your sweet comments! Have a great day:)

The Ravert Family said...

thanks for the recipe! my hubby will love this! i cant wait to try it!

Lolly Jane said...

mmm this looks YUMMY!
ps: you won the EAT letters, girlfriend! wee! (:

kelli & kristi

Unknown said...

Oh my Goodness! I made these tonight and my husband LOVED them! And even, I, who does not love spicy things, loved these! Seriously this is delicious! I can't wait to make these again!