Pages

Tiny decor blocks

Wednesday, July 28, 2010


Everybody seems to be making those decorative wooden blocks lately. I'm constantly seeing a new tutorial pop up about decor blocks. So I thought I'd try some myself. 


Seriously, I should have taken a photo of what the little blocks looked like before I sanded and painted them. They were totally "trash." I'm not kidding. There's a pile of trash wood in the front yard and that's where I found these pieces. I think they were actually one block and they broke in half. So I sanded them up a bunch and painted them, then roughed up the edges and every side actually as well. 
Nope, that's not exactly painted on free hand. I found online a neat way to get my print/design onto the block. Maybe most of you are going to say, "Well duh, we all know about this!" .. Be nice! I just learned this! 
I made my own transfer paper! 
Print your font or image in the desired size and then cut it down.
{for mine every letter is a different font}


Then turn your print over and start coloring with just the side of the pencil lead. Try not to leave any little cracks and lines in the pencil marking... or your image will be missing some spots.

 
Place your image on top of block where you want it.
  This was my second block and I had to cut my word up on this one because the letters spread out a little too far. So I just made sure where I wanted them to fit. 


Holding your paper down tightly, trace your image with a very sharp pencil. When I did my first block I had a fingernail mark on the front from holding the paper down! But don't worry, your fingerprint marks will brush off.. just don't worry about it till you've painted your word.


And there, now you have your word transferred to your block! That wasn't so hard.. it's the painting the skinny letters where you find the challenge!


I think they turned out pretty cute! 


Ever hear the song from Harry Connick, JR. "We go together, like a wink and a smile." ?? 
The words just seem to fit together. I think it's cute.


like a


and a


{ha ha}






The end
hApPy CrEaTivItiEs!!

2 comments:

Stevie @ Sincerely Stevie said...

Super cute, I love them. I love using words for home decor, I might have to make some too! :)

Sweet Nest said...

Cute! :)