Pages

Chocolate Chip Cake

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I made a cake. Last night at 12:00!
Yesterday I found a a square cake pan while I was out thrift shopping. Thought it would be fun to make some square cakes. So I brought it home and while hubby was preparing his sermon for next Sunday night I was making use of my new-to-me baking pan. 
Last Sunday we celebrated a cousin's birthday and his cake was a white cake with blueberries throughout it. It gave me an idea to try a chocolate chip cake. So I looked up a recipe online and found one. 

Isn't it cute?! 


It was getting late and Hubby wanted a piece so bad, so I frosted it while it was still warm.. hence the frosting spillage all over! I was hoping for the pretty drizzle drip down the side look..


Yes, it's a thin layer of frosting, but Hubby doesn't care for too much chocolate so I went easy on it.


Aren't the little blue plate/dishes SO adorable! I also found them yesterday while thrifting. There are four of them. I'm such a sucker for little dishes and things like this! Look how small they are compared to Hubby's hand! Love it!


M..mm..mmmmm. It was yummy :)
And Hubs went back for more! (and he tells everyone he doesn't like chocolate! I think the longer he's living with me the more he HAS to learn to like it. haha .. although, he did scrape the frosting off!!)


Now for the recipe!! 

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil {I used 1/3 cup apple sauce instead}
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1/2  teaspoon salt
1 egg
Chocolate chips {I didn't really measure this}

Directions:
1. Combine flour, sugar, baking power, and salt.
2. In small bowl whisk together egg and vanilla. 
3. Make two small wells in the flour mixture; Pour oil in one, and the egg/vanilla in the other. 
4. Add milk and stir until well mixed. 
5. Add some chocolate chips!
6. Bake 30-40 minutes at 350* F. 

Most the chips seemed sink to the bottom.. so I was thinking maybe next time I try this I'll put the cake in the oven for about 5 minutes and then pour some chips in so they don't (hopefully) all sink to the bottom. But either way, it still turned out really good!

And for the frosting {mom told me this!}
In a big coffee mug:
Fill cup almost full with powdered sugar.
Add about 1 1/2 tablespoons of soft butter and cream them together really good with a fork.
Add a tiny bit of milk and stir well. Add enough milk to get the right consistency. 
Then add cocoa! (however much to your taste!)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Sailing with bare feet said...

so cute !! Looks so yummy !!!!