Pages

Knife Block Makeover

Friday, May 7, 2010

Okay, so once upon a time I got married and we had to use some of my husband's old kitchen things from when he had an apartment during college. Among his old kitchen stuff is this sad looking knife block that we've used ever since we moved into our apartment (about 6 months now).
Every time I looked at this hideous hunk of wood I wanted to throw it out our third story balcony window! But then just recently I was inspired to do a makeover on our frumpy little block of wood. I sanded and painted and made some homemade stencils to get this:
 




I used just cheap ole' acrylic paints from the dollar store to paint my now adorable knife block. For the circles I made my own stencils. That part was actually a little bit of a hassle. For the small circles I used the borders of some round stickers I had. Nice, because they stick right on the wood! (if you're confused what I mean about the borders of the stickers just ask me.. sorry I didn't take a photo). It took a few coats of paint for the white to be nice and bright over the black.


 And my favorite part of the whole project! I just printed out "knives" in this super cute font, cut closely around the word, and mod podged it right on the big white circle and mod podged some more. After all painted I put a coat of some clear wood finish on it. Isn't it adorable! This is pretty much my first ever makeover project, I am absolutely tickled pink about how it turned out!

No, of course I didn't come up with this idea on my own. I'm not that creative yet. Check out Kierste's knife block makeover at Brown Paper Packages HERE. 


3 comments:

mom carver said...

that is adorable.. you are very creative.. man, if you would only try quiltting some day.. you would do awesome..

Jenna said...

Love this!! I have one that has roosters on it..need to redo it! Thanks for the inspiration!

BakingMama said...

That turned out so cute! I'm a new follower and loving your blog! Nicole @ www.thebakingmom.blogspot.com